Friday, May 10, 2013

activity: write a letter to your future self


Have you been given an assignment asking you to write a letter to your younger self? I actually mentioned it in an earlier blog post.

I was organizing files on my computer today, when I found my portfolio from college. I found a letter that was supposed to be in my “about me” section, but I didn’t use it because it was too long and wordy.

It was kind of immature, but at the same time insightful and exactly something I needed to hear. Who would’ve thought that three years later, I would be taking advice from myself?

Writing letters to our younger selves is a creative way to make us reflect on what we’ve learned. It’s also a way to bring up all the “what ifs” and “I wish I would’ves” that don’t do any good.

I propose we write letters to our future selves. Growth comes in phases depending on where we are and what we’re going through.

We are taught in history class that we can learn from the past because history repeats itself. It’s true in our personal lives too. Three years ago I was at college, not knowing what to do next, or what God had in store for me. Now, I’m about to leave Ireland, not knowing what to do next, or what God has in store for me.

But my 22-year-old self has some advice.
“I’ve adopted the philosophy that I heard from a pastor: ‘God doesn’t care about the who, what, when, or where. He cares about the why and how.’ This is what I want you to know about me: I’m also not going to care about the who, what, when, or where. I’m going to care about why I’m making the choices I’m making, and how I’m getting there.”

What lessons are you learning that you want your future self to remember? 

No comments: