Sunday, December 11, 2011

off key.

It didn't effect me too much when the Irish said the Christmas season didn't traditionally start for them until the 8th of December. I still put up my decorations and tried not to play Christmas music too loud in the office.

It didn't effect me (although throw my whole childhood off balance a little bit) when I found out families from the Netherlands claim St. Nicholas comes from Spain and his elves are all named Pete and are black.

Those are differences that can be lived with. I've come to find out today, there is one Christmas season difference that can't be celebrated differently. Somebody has to change the way they've done things for years. Well, I guess you don't have to, but if you're like me, you end up sounding really terrible singing Christmas carols. I had to work my way through worship today, and it wasn't pretty.

I give you two examples: Away in a Manger and O Little Town of Bethlehem.

First, Away in a Manger. Classic American version


Away in a Manger. Classic Irish version:


Second, O Little Town of Bethlehem. Classic American Version


O Little Town of Bethlehem. Classic Irish Version

No comments: