Friday, January 2, 2009

father Time

As soon as the ball dropped, confetti flew all over my house, fake champaigne glasses with sparkling grape juice clinked together, and my aunt said, "The year 2008 is no more!"
That struck me differently. No one has really said that before. It's all about welcoming Baby New Year in a celebration. This year I realized that Father Time just died at the stroke of midnight, and I got heavy boots for reasons I can't put a finger on. A lot of stuff happened in 2008. I feel as if I should list that.

2008
  • Started off by going to Greece and Italy for J-term
  • turned 20
  • my dad lost his job in April
  • my uncle died in his 50's of a heart attack
  • I worked as a bank teller for the summer
  • dad got a new job
  • went to Disney world
  • started my junior year of college
  • got published (outside the school newspaper) for the first time, multiple times
  • went to macy's thanksgiving day parade in NYC

I'm not going to make goals for 2009. I don't do the whole New Year's resolutions. Although, I am stuck in the tradition of eating black-eyed peas, rice, ham, and spinach on New Years day.

Every year my house hosts the New Years Eve party for the high school and college groups from my church. We normally have around 50 people in our house coming and going. This year we decided not to do it, and had close friends and family over. We played a lot of games, shot off fireworks then played on the wii until the wii hours of the morning. heh. Who knows what 2009 will bring. I have no expectations at all, and I'm starting to wonder if I should. And now I'm going to leave a little excerpt from the song New Years Eve by Five Iron Frenzy.

It's New Years Eve and I feel my insecurities, are haunting me like ghosts, this sinking quicksand. And then with thunderous praise and lofty adoration, a second passes by, yet nothing changes. I hate my skin, this grave I'm standing in. Another change of years, and I wish I wasn't here. A year goes by and I'm staring at my watch again, and I dig deep this time, for something greater than I've ever been, life to ancient wineskins. And I was blind but now I see.

No comments: