Sunday, November 16, 2008

movie reviewing / but not in poetry form / well maybe, haikus?

The Fall (4 1/2 out of 5)
(http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0460791/)

C'est excellent. It's beautiful. It's similiar to Pan's Labrynth in the sense that there is a mystical other world back-story for the characters to "get away." The Fall takes place in a hospital where a injured, suicidal stuntman tells a story to a little girl with a broken arm. I like The Fall better than Pan's Labrynth. I really like when there's a heavy story with subtle comic relief like The Fall has, whereas Pan's has none, at least that I can remember. I am a huge fan of the surreal and the fantastic (fantastic meaning conceived from the imagination, not "great") and the dynamics between characters.

Quantum of Solace (2 1/2 out of 5)

Like most of the reviews have mentioned, it lacked plot. I disagree with the whole idea that most reviews said it was an angsty Bond-becoming-who-he-is movie with no action. I thought there was plenty of action, it just wasn't awesome. The movie is worth seeing in theaters just because it's one of the more anticipated movies of the year. I would suggest waiting until crowds go down, since we had a run in with obnoxious talkers and bad seats. Or if you don't mind being left out of the loop, just wait to rent it. It wasn't a bad movie. I personally liked the villain, Greene. He's a famous French actor. Quantum of Solace just didn't have any wow factor which I feel is necessary for a Bond movie.

The Pianist (3 1/2 out of 5)

This is an older film that I have wanted to see since it came out. I was 15 at the time and was therefore not allowed to watch it because of its R rating. Another heavy movie. I probably would have given it higher ratings, but I didn't really know exactly what I was getting into when I watched it, and it threw me off guard. It was a holocaust movie, which is enough to say right there. The story is about Adrian Brody's character, a Polish/Jewish pianist who is trying to survive and runs into a lot of "luck" and is pretty much the only person who survives. I kept asking myself throughout the movie though what his motivation or reason for living was. It seems like in those times, just wanting to live was not enough motivation, and it never was stated why he wanted to keep going. It was pretty much just a survival movie. I would suggest Schindler's List over this movie, but it's worth watching.

Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat (2 out of 5 stars)

There's something about watching a horrible musical at 2am that just gets ya. In my ridiculous mood last night, I may have given it a 4 out of 5. Seriously though, I love Andrew Lloyd Webber, don't get me wrong, but...what the? It's like Sunday School gone wrong. There are pretty great catchy songs in there like Any Dream Will Do (ah ah ahhhh) and Close Every Door, which need to be sung at the top of the lungs. In the end though, it has really unnecessary innuendos, God is never mentioned, and the message of the play is "If you can interpret dreams, you will be successful and have lots of riches." Silly nonsense, if you ask me. My roommate and I decided we could've written the whole musical ourselves.





No comments: