Sunday, November 14, 2010

The subtle subliminal messages of Barnes & Noble

(*first off, I'd like to note, yes, I am back after a month and a half of inactivity. Sorry about that, I really haven't been doing much and have no excuse. I'm a little out of sorts.)

Everyone needs a getaway. Like Holly Golightly needs Tiffany's, and that lady in Mary Poppins needs the steps so she can feed the birds, I need Barnes & Noble. It's not necessarily a getaway from life, but rather to life because if I don't have a place to go, I get all cooped up at home and forget there's life outside of my house and normal routines.

So my thoughts lately are taken up by one of two themes:
1. What God's grace means in my life (I know, heavy, right?)
2. relationships. a la dating. (let me clarify: I am not dating. but I'm a girl. so I think about these things, okay?)

As I'm sitting in Barnes contemplating #1 by reading Romans and trying to shove the ever-present #2 out of my head, Amazing Grace starts playing on the speakers. I smile and thank God for the extra reminder and continue reading.

I kid you not, the NEXT song was "That Old Black Magic" by Frank Sinatra. That "old black magic" is referring to love. Ironic, no?

God's funny. If He wants to teach me a lesson, He's going to get it through my head somehow. Why not the sound system?

Here's the lyrics:
That old black magic has me in its spell,
That old black magic that you weave so well
Those icy fingers up and down my spine,
The same old witchcraft when your eyes meet mine,
The same old tingle that I feel inside
And then that elevator starts its slide,
Down and down I go,
Round and round I go,
Like a leaf that's caught in the tide.
I should stay away but what can I do,
I hear your name, and I'm aflame,
A flame with such a burning desire,
That only your kiss can put out the fire.
'Cause you're the lover I have waited for,
The mate that fate had me created for,
And every time your lips meet mine,
Darling, down and down I go,
Round and round I go,
In that spin of love that I am in,
Under that old black magic of love


and Amazing Grace: 
Amazing grace, how sweet the sound 
That saved a wretch like me 
I once was lost, but now I'm found 
Was blind but now I see 

Through many dangers, toils and snares 
I have already come 
'Twas grace that brought me safe this far 
And grace will lead me home 

When we've been there ten thousand years 
Bright-shining as the sun 
We've no less days to sing God's praise 
Than when we first begun 


I decided it was a good time to listen to the lyrics of the black magic song, and I heard the part that said "the mate that fate had created me for." And all of a sudden, I was a little repulsed. Again, let me clarify: I'd be totally cool with dating. But, at this moment the words "'twas grace that brought me safe this far, and grace will lead me home" sounded a billion times more pleasing. 


What sounds better? That fate created me for a mate that would last no more than 100 years? or That God created me and drew me to Him because He loved me before I existed so that I could enjoy him forever?


This is definitely not one of those "Jesus is my boyfriend/husband" posts. I'm just saying sometimes God's reminders come in weird ways, and today, it was Barnes & Noble's sound system.

No comments: